Sunday, July 5, 2009

Damned If You Do, Damned If You Don't

So I have a friend who has Bipolar Disorder. I suspect she also has Borderline Personality Disorder. She's my best friend, and it's ridiculous how alike we are sometimes. Somehow I'm not surprised that we possibly have the same exact disorders.

There is something refreshing about having friends who have similar disorders as me. It really helps me know that I'm not completely alone and someone out there does understand me, at least a little. And for the most part I'm able to reciprocate the empathy.

The problem comes when these friends want me to come up with a solution to their problems. Most of the time they're the exact same problems I have. How am I supposed to help you when I can't help myself? A lot of times I end up spouting off something my doctor has told me or I've read on an online support page. Of course then I feel like a total hypocrite cuz it's not like I'm doing these things. So I've taken to telling the truth and saying I don't know, but then I feel guilty because the other person doesn't necessarily have the same support I have, or at least had.

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Besides, it's not like the other person necessarily takes my advice. But I can't blame them since it's not like I'm doing it either.

I think the whole problem would be solved if insurance companies weren't such damn bitches.

No comments:

Post a Comment