Wednesday, July 22, 2009

chatter box

I am utterly convinced that I talk way too much.

This is a problem that I am well aware of. And it's not so much that I talk a lot, more so that I am way to open about my personal life. I'm a pretty open person and tend to share a lot of personal things with people too soon in the relationship. I can almost see them physically pull away from the conversation when that happens.

Because I am aware of this character flaw, I try to pull back with new people and am constantly censoring myself. Unfortunately I think I then come off as really aloof or distant. Which isn't like me at all. Then it's really hard for me to get to know people because I never know how much is too much.

And sometimes I'll have realized I've shared too much so the next time I talk witht that person I pull back. Which probably seems like I'm giving them the cold shoulder.

So there is my predicament. I either share too much too soon, or I come off as snotty.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why few friends stay around for very long.

1 comment:

  1. This is *exactly* my problem. Now I am in "recovery" from BPD and am trying to be more cautious in sharing/talking/rambling, I am seen as distant and cold. It's such a pain in the ass. It's one area in which I doubt I will ever feel comfortable. How much to share, how and when... no wonder I am happy as a hermit lol

    ReplyDelete